Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Upcycled pillow Tutorial

I recently made a pillow for my daughter.  She wanted a Blue and Yellow room.  At my last trip to Goodwill I saw this sweater that was bright yellow.  It reminded me of Charlie Brown, so I thought using it for a pillow would be easy.  By the way, I can't knit very well.  The only knitting I can do is the basic pattern of a scarf.  So using a sweater was the only way to go. 
The first step is to cut out the size of the pillow from the front and back of the sweater.  You can make it a square or rectangle.  Just make sure the size is the same for both sides.  Place the right sides together (the sides you want showing) and sew together.  Make sure to leave an opening at the bottom for a pillow insert to go.

The pillow insert is a little smaller to make it easy to put together.  I made this pillow insert by using a dust mite allergy cover and stuffing.  I purchased a twin sized allergy cover from Wal-Mart and have used it to make all my decorative pillows.  I like knowing that when the pillow covering gets dirty it can be washed.  The allergy cover can be surface washed as needed.

To finish, put the insert inside the pillow and you are done.

Completed pillow.  Notice the quilt?  I made that too!  It's a full sized quilt and took me about 6 months of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment